Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Day in the Mountains

I spent the day in the North Georgia mountains. A friend owns an apartment complex there, and she generously gave Henry a lovely, handmade, picnic table and bench set that some tenants left behind, in return for a little handyman work. He wanted to get it for his daughter-in-law's birthday present, as they have four children and a big yard. It will be used a lot this summer, I think! Anyway, I just went up for the ride. I'd never seen the apartment complex, although I hear about it all the time! My friend has many trials and tribulations with her "mountain people" renters. But I so admire her for all she's accomplished with her life...she also showed me a subdivision she developed, some land she owns, and another rental property. Meanwhile she told me that her family was so poor that she never saw a dentist until she could afford to pay for one herself...from her wages at her first job...at fourteen. I feel that I have accomplished very little in my life when I'm around friends like this. On the other hand, I'm proud that I choose to surround myself with friends like this.

No comments: