Saturday, July 12, 2014

Sew Fitting

I have the pleasure of being co-chair of a new sewing group, appropriately entitled Sew Fitting.  It focuses on garment construction and fitting issues.  We had a wonderful program today and I am happy to report, well attended.

The only problem I had was getting up early to set up, since yesterday I took a carload of my friends down to Atlanta's Merchandise Mart and we walked around all day long.  Whew!  As hard on my back as it was on my budget, but we had a carload of fun.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

If anything can go wrong..and Thrifty Tuesday

A simple pair of white knit leggings from a pattern I've made countless times before.  So simple, in fact, that I didn't pay attention and ended up unpicking three seams.  And one of the seams didn't need unpicking, as I found when I got to the end of the was the other leg that needed unpicking!  All in all, a study in patience, but I do have a nice pair of white leggings to go with my new purchased top.  I plan to wear the outfit to my sewing club on Saturday so maybe I'll remember to get a picture.

The Thrifty Tuesday part was an accident (maybe to make up for those three seams?)  I had an hour to spare between appointments and passed by a Goodwill thrift store.  Naturally I dropped in, and here's my haul:

A pair of jeans, a cardigan, two casual tops, and an Isaac Mizrahi suede skirt.  My total bill:  $22.64.  It's kind of sad how America is so swimming in "stuff" that you can purchase goods like these for mere pennies.  Still, these clothes will be used and enjoyed, and not go to a landfill (for awhile, anyway).

Monday, June 30, 2014

Best Blog of the Week

Every so often I come across a blog post that I feel compelled to record for future memories.  I certainly hope the authors of these posts do not object to my doing this, as I don't ask their permission!  However, I mean it solely as a compliment.  They are saying things that I would myself say if I had the skill.  In today's repost, Sarai presents her thoughts on "Why I Sew".  I could not say it better myself.

Read Sarai's post here.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Family Visit

My son, grandson, and granddaughter came to visit today.  I am, of course, trying to get my granddaughter interested in sewing.  She didn't want to try to make a skirt, but was willing to try a teddy bear.  We downloaded a simple free pattern, got some Minky out of my stash, and set to it.  She sewed one seam and I finished the rest.  Unfortunately, I didn't think to take pictures.  But it was recognizably a Teddy Bear and she did sew one seam, so I count it as a win.

Friday, June 27, 2014

The Quest for the Perfect Bodice

After studying the Sure Fit Design templates, attending a Connie Crawford seminar, and countless tries, you would think I already had a perfect bodice pattern.   But no.  My last dress was a good fit in the bust, shoulders, waist, and length, but I noticed that it falls straight down from the bust points.  So I've decided that a princess seamed bodice is more flattering, welcome me to the 21st century.  I bought two patterns today:

This "Amazing Fit" pattern was recommended.  I've tried "Amazing Fit" patterns before, but, amazingly, they didn't fit worth a darn.  However, not only is this a princess seamed dress with a full skirt (my current holy grail of dresses) but it has cup sizes.  So my hopes are up.
Another pattern I am going to try is this McCall's (it was on sale, after all).

Note how similar these patterns are:  princess seam, scoop neck, full skirt.  Maybe if one doesn't work the other will...  Then of course since I was in Hancock's for the pattern(s) I had to snoop at the fabric to find something cheap to try these out.  Although I think I have a pretty large fabric stash it was annoying to find that I have very few fabrics suitable for the cruise I have planned for August.  It seems as if I gravitate toward dance fabric or heavily embellished fabric suitable for jackets, and fabric for tennis clothes.  There was nothing there for a lightweight but non-sheer outfit for strolling in the straw market.  I picked up some challis and some linen/poly for what will hopefully be wearable muslins.  Stay tuned!

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Dancing in the red dress

Our senior centers here in Cobb County, Georgia, are a great resource for ballroom dancing.  In fact, ballroom dancing is all over Atlanta!  We have two major centers for dancing nearby (there are a total of seven centers in our county).  Henry and I got up and out of the house at the unholy hour of 8 am (unheard of for retirees) and drove to the East Cobb center for a couple of hours of dancing, filmed by the local CBS station for a promotional.  It was a lot of fun, and I'd present the video if I could figure out how to do it.  My computer literate son is in town but I'll only get to see him for a few hours on Sunday.  If I can remember to get him to download it somehow, I will put it up on the blog.  I am hoping someday to have lots of memories here.

dance video

Saturday, June 21, 2014

It's so much cuter in my imagination...

I loved this fabric.  The colors are all my favorites; it was a dream to sew; it never wrinkles, and it came from JoAnn's...go figure.  I had this vision of a great little sundress and I tell you I worked hard on the fit.  I made tiny little changes from this dress so it would fit perfectly, and it almost does.  But what is so stinking bad about this dress is my enormous waist.  And that's not the dress's fault.  It's the fault of all those chocolate doughnuts.

Anyway, I wore it to a dance tonight and the skirt did fine.  I even have a pocket!

I don't know what's going on with the shadow on the left back waist, though.