Saturday, December 8, 2012

Progress

After a lot of searching at Gail K's today my friend and I found a beautiful burnout silk to use as an overlay on my velvet dress.  It was so helpful to have her along to give her opinion.  Once I found a fabric that we both liked, I knew we had a winner!  There is another decision to make now, though.  So far both the top and the skirt that I sew are always plain, with the fabric being the statement.  Now that I have this silk panel on the skirt, I feel I need to add some type of embelishment to the top to tie it all together.  Because the silk was so expensive I am experiementing with just tiny scraps cut from the panel (I have enough left for a simple overblouse if I don't get too crazy with my experiments).  So the picture shows a sort of awkward bow pinned to the top.  I don't plan to wear the dress until the 22nd, so plenty of time to think things through.  But it already looks so much better!

2 comments:

RhondaBuss said...

Just an idea, you can combine the silk with some feathers and make a wonderful piece that can be worn on the top or in your hair.

Carole Mellin said...

What a great idea! Thank you!