Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Walk Through Reconstructed History


We visited a place called "Explorations in Antiquity" today. This was Harold's idea as he has become more religious since his illness. I, who am a sceptic (former journalist!) went along just because I like to see everything. I think I was the one who ended up being more impressed! Our guide, David Justice, is so extremely knowledgeable. If I respect someone who has great knowledge of the history and the language, I feel more of a connection. Harold, being a Southern Baptist of course is very well read of the Bible. Me...well as a former Catholic, I did not get much instruction in the Bible (or much religion come to think of it). However I think Harold does not appreciate the vast sweep of history as I do. Mr. Justice was my kind of guy: of course we all liked him very much. As an example of his knowledge: he told us that the phrase "it is as easy for a camel to go through the eye of a needle as a rich man to get to heaven" was mistranslated. The original word for "camel" is the same word used for "rope". (Why, I have no idea.) Anyway, Jesus gave this parable on the shores of Gallilee. (Forgive my spelling and also if I am worng about the location, as I repeat I really don't know the Bible well.) Anyway, Mr. Justice said it made more sense, since Jesus was around boats, that He used the word for "rope" than "camel". His explanation made sense. He also said that although the Bible has been translated over and over, and different versions abound, the Word and the meaning have not been changed...

There were reproduction tombs, and example of a stable (stone, not wood. Wood was used in paintings by Renaissance artists, when they used wood for their stables. Trees are rare in the desert, but not caves and rocks! In Israel, the stables were stone.) A Bedouin tent made of goat hair; crosses as they were really used (trees, with a crossbar nailed on the trunk, not milled lumber as the crosses are shown in pictures.) I liked the reproduction stone house, and the city gate... really I liked it all.

Well, anyway it's an impressive site. And it's located in LaGrange, Georgia of all places..

No comments: