Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Why Do I Blog?

A couple of my favorite blogs have been addressing the question: "Why Blog?" and this has intriqued me. I really don't care if anyone reads my blog; in fact I believe I would be embarassed if they did. But I have a terrible memory. They say in old age one remembers the past much better than the recent days. Why do you suppose that is? Perhaps it is the mind trying to make sense of one's life. Certainly it touches on the age-old question of why we were put on this earth. In this blog, I am attempting in a very fumbling and poor way, to see some sort of timeline to my life. I want to be more than just a random collection of genes who passes down another random collection of genes. During a very traumatic period of my life I attempted to avoid a nervous breakdown by keeping a journal. That has now been lost due to the numerous moves that resulted from that time. I wish I had that journal now. I'd like to remember the thinking that led to the period of life I am in now. Those decisions, and the thought process that led to them, changed my life in ways that I could not even imagine back then. Were the thought processes valid, or was I under so much stress that I made silly irreversible mistakes? (Certainly I did make some major mistakes, but was the outcome worth it?) I'll never know, because that journal is lost. With the internet I am assuming this "journal" will never be lost.

No comments: