Saturday, August 9, 2008

2008 Olympics: Bejing



Along with billions of others, I watched the Opening Ceremony of the 2008 Olympic Games. I was absolutely blown away. My master's degree is in history, with a concentration on China. I've always been fascinated with the country, probably because I read "The Good Earth" as a child. I spent some time in the country in the very early eighties, not too long after the disasterous "Great Leap Forward". Back then the country was still in the 1930's to my American eyes. No color. Everyone wore Mao jackets. No cars, just bicycles. In a "luxury" hotel room one was given one towel---for the week. But the beauty of the country, the kindness of the people; all indescribable. I remember our guide, a young woman in her 20's, was fascinated by the idea that most Americans had their own washing machines. As she was always immaculate, I have no idea how she accomplished this. Which all leads me to say how touched and proud I was to watch on 08.08.08 to see the magnificent show the Chinese put on for the world. I doubt that many countries will ever surpass it.

No comments: