Sunday, August 30, 2009

Macon

On Thursday I took my very first old lady bus trip from the local senior center. It was worth the trip. From Atlanta we went south to Juliette, Georgia and had fried green tomatos at the Whistle Stop Cafe, then on to Macon. I've been around and through Macon many times on my way somewhere else, but this is the first time to actually visit the city. It was much more impressive than I thought it would be, mainly because it survived the War Between the States intact. It has a number of antebellum mansions, including The Hay House, which I perversely find more impressive than The Biltmore House. Macon calls itself the "Cherry Blossom City". There are over 300,000 ornamental cherry trees, in contrast to the 3,000 in Washington, D.C. I'd like to return with some girlfriends one day and stay at one of the numerous charming bed and breakfast inns and spend a little more time in Macon.

No comments: