Monday, September 21, 2009

My Stash: flood


I've been out of town for a couple of weeks helping my sister recover from knee replacement surgery. When I got home from my visit to my sister's house, I decided to arrange my stash (most of it, anyway) on the shelves I had built just before I left. The top picture is the shelves, complete with stash. However, I couldn't get a closeup because the very next day the basement flooded: not once, but twice. The floor you see in the second picture is not shiny because it's waxed. It's under about four inches of water! There's a sort of sunken patio outside those glass doors. Very pretty, except when the drain got stopped up and the whole thing filled with water, which then came in under and over the doors to the basement. I cleaned out the drain and sucked up the water once, but the second time (2:30 a.m.) I could not get the drain open. So Roto Rooter came to the rescue this morning. I've gotten about 2 inches of the second floodwater out but now I'm pretty tired and am telling myself the basement floor is concrete anyway, plus I hate the tile and this is a good excuse to replace it. I'm so thankful my fabric wasn't ruined, even though the picture is less than pretty because by that time I was stacking everything everywhere to get it up off the floor. I hope the controls to my sewing machine and serger still work. What stash is not on the shelves is in plastic boxes, and hopefully won't mildew before I get everything cleaned out. Needless to say, I didn't go to my swimming class today as I felt it redundent. Atlanta is being hit very hard by all this rain; estimates vary between 6" and 15" in the last two days, depending on what part of town. Schools and roads are closed, bridges out, etc.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: