Thursday, October 11, 2007


There are discussions going on among some of my favorite sewing bloggers (I'd credit them here but I don't know how yet). Cidell (Miss Cellie's Pants) begain by saying, "If you can read you can sew"; however, Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) has countered with the idea that to truly create garments you must have a talent. Then her discussion segued into the idea that God gives every one some talent, some where, and it is up to that person to find, and nourish, that talent. Looking back on my life, I remember being in the fourth grade and walking past a neglected old "mansion" on the way to school. I would fantasize about what could be done to that house to bring it back to life--new paint, new roof, and what in the world did it look like inside? Obviously renovating homes is my true passion. But I like to think that I also have a talent (very small perhaps) for sewing. For staging those renovated homes: home decorating. For selling real estate: yes, I've proved that. All of which brings me to the conclusion that, for me, I have a talent for visualization. In my 25 years in the business of selling real estate, I've done a very unscientific study of how many, many people do NOT have this talent. My unofficial count is about 95%. The other 5% can see it, but most of those people either don't have the time or the inclination to do anything about it. I've had clients that would not buy a house because one wall in the dining room was painted red. Seriously!

No comments: