Friday, May 30, 2014
I didn't participate in the "Sew Dolly Clackett" group while it was going on, but I followed with great interest since this is the type of dress that currently interests me. I'm also trying to find different, but flattering, necklines. I used a standard McCall's pattern to begin with and laid it over my TNT SureFit Designs base. After tweaking the shoulders, shortening the bodice, and adding an FBA I am fairly happy with the fit. I noticed that the bodice is longer on the sides than on the tummy...no surprise, I guess!!! And the skirt is not full enough for me. I was afraid to gather it, fearing more "tummy factor", so I pleated it. My waistline sure isn't what it used to be! But, like Roisen, I am enamored of quilting cottons this summer and have a couple more in the sewing room, so I'll be reworking parts of this pattern.
I wore this last night to an event that was both joyous and sad. One of my dancing friends has Alzheimer's, which finally required he be put into a home. A bunch of us went dancing there for the entertainment of the residents. Jim may have Alzheimer's but he sure still can dance!